Sailing across the endless sea, cruise tours offer wonderful trips throughout the world. A special day with an excursion on shore, as well as a joyful time on board, adds to a pleasant memory to your trip.
Fun awaits you in Korea, a peninsula in northeast Asia, which is surrounded by three different seas. Create special memories in the country that has about 5,000 years of history, abundant tourism resources, and beautiful nature. What’s more, it is a place with delicious food, and it is the epicenter of hallyu or Korean pop-culture, which has become popular worldwide.
Korea is an ideal destination for cruise tours with ports and terminals in Jeju, Incheon, Busan and Yeosu, as well as ports that can accommodate large cruise ships in Sokcho and Donghae.
A volcanic island listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Jeju-do Island is a popular holiday destination featuring Hallasan Mountain, 360 parasitic volcanoes, solidified lava flows, a vast blue ocean, bizarre-shaped stones, and fine sand. The island offers a very unique and magnificent landscape of long palm trees and tropical fruits, set against a unique background of black volcanic rocks. It is also annually the No.1 vacation destination for Koreans, and more international visitors have been coming to Jeju-do since its designation as a Unesco World Natural Heritage site in 2007.
Korea’s second largest city and its most beautiful coastlines
Busan is an urban and vibrant port city. It is home to Haeundae Beach, the No.1 summer holiday destination in Korea, which includees luxury hotels on a beautiful coastline, bustling shopping districts, and exciting entertainment areas. Busan is also home to the world’s largest shopping complex, Shinsegae Centum City Department Store, which has made the city a mecca for shopping in Asia. Its urban landscape is filled with brightly-lit skyscrapers that come alive every evening. There are also various daytime attractions which has become even more spectacular, such as the city’s traditional markets – each replete with sights and flavors. Meanwhile, the huddled houses of Gamcheon Culture Village add to Busan’s appeal with their colorful roofs and murals.
The biggest gateway to Korea
Incheon, home to the Port of Incheon and Incheon International Airport, is the main gateway to Korea. It is also the most frequently visited city by foreigners, as it connects them with neighboring Seoul. With Chinatown which was built during the Qing Dynasty, 150 islands nearby, theme parks, and filming sites, Incheon is a popular tourist destination in Korea. The Port of Incheon is accessible within one hour from downtown Seoul by bus, subway, and airport railway.
A TRIP TO SEOUL FROM INCHEON
In 1899, the first railroad in Korea was built between Incheon and Noryangjin, which is now used for Subway Line 1. It takes about an hour by subway from Incheon Station to Seoul Station. Incheon, known as the gate to Seoul, is close to the capital city, so a day trip to Seoul is recommended for visitors.
Seoul has been the capital of Korea since 1392. It has become a megalopolis with a population over 10 million people living in the metropolitan area. Seoul is the center of politics, culture and economy with over 600 years of history. Take a day trip to explore the history and culture of Seoul and feel the true charm of the city.
Beautiful maritime city
Yeosu is a beautiful maritime city with an uncontaminated sea and more than 300 islands. The islands in front of the port serve as a natural breakwater. The port is equipped with excellent natural conditions, having deep water in a large harbor area. Various facilities necessary for the arrival and departure of visitors are available, such as a quarantine station, a custom house, an immigration office, a passenger terminal, etc.
A TRIP TO JEOLLA-DO FROM YEOSU
Jeolla-do, located in the southwestern region of Korea, is a great place to taste and enjoy Korean tradition, cuisines and arts. Although the region is divided into two administrative districts: Jeollanam-do and Jeollabuk-do provinces, both provinces have well-preserved nature, as well as an ambience deeply saturated in tradition that travelers can certainly enjoy an experience completely different from traveling in big cities.
Take a train at the Yeosu EXPO Station to start off a one-day excursion and head for areas in the one-hour proximity to taste Jeolla-do provinces’ savory foods as well as its quaint beauty and arts. Awaiting you is a unique, wonderful day, which is unimaginable in cities or ports.
Gangwon that features beautiful scenery of coastline
Gangwon that features beautiful scenery of coastline has Sokcho and Donghae as its main ports. Sokcho Port is an important traffic center of northeast Asia that connects Northeast China, fareast Russia, and the west sea region of Japan. It became a representative port of Gangwon-do Province since the coastal rout through the area was developed in 1905. In the port is the naturally-formed lagoon Cheongchoho Lake. It is used as the inner harbor of Sokcho Port. By using the lake as the inner harbor, outer influence is minimized, which stabilizes berthing. A notable aspect of Donghae Port is that it was built on a grand scale in 1979 for the trading of natural underground resources.
A TRIP TO PYEONGCHANG FROM DONGHAE PORT
The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Gangwon-do Province from February 9 to 25 in 2018. Pyeongchang, Gangneung, and Jeongseon, which are in the middle of preparations for the Olympics, are famous tourist destinations visited by people who want to enjoy the great scenery, culture and history. To feel the excitement for the upcoming event, take a journey to the Alpensia Resort, the main venue for the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, and Gangneung, which will hold ice sport competitions during the Olympics period.
- An international port with anchorages for domestic and foreign ships
- Provides services for Car Ferry lines that are 3,000 tons or over
|Pier 8||Temporary Berth|
|Berthing Capacity||1 Vessel of 140,000 tons||1 Vessel of 85,000 tons|
|Quay Length||360 m||360 m|
|Quay Width||30 m||–|
|Height of Quay above Lowest Tide||3.8 m||–|
|Water Depth (mean)||12 m||11.5 m|
|Tidal Range||Almost None||Almost None|
- Welcome/farewell events for cruise ships for special occasions such as the first entry into Jeju port
- riority in the allocation of berthing for the following year when traveling in major tourist attractions and local trade areas in Jeju
- 0% off of port dues and dockage
Maritime Industry Department, Jeju Special Self-Governing Province
- Address 30 Munnyeon-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
- Phone +82-64-710-3226
- E-mail email@example.com
- Opened in 1876, Busan Port is a major port in the country.
- The cruise route was first launched in April 2007, and the port accommodates 2 million tourists annually.
- The port continuously improves its immigration facilities as well as its services in the cruise passenger terminal.
- A new international cruise passenger terminal opened in 2015 for the improvement of tour and shopping facilities.
|Busan International Passenger Terminal||Gamman Pier (Cargo Pier)|
|Pier (berth) Code||#1||#2||#13, #14||–|
|Berthing Capacity||100,000 GT||30,000 GT||100,000 GT||200,000 GT|
|Quay Length||360 m||234 m||480 m||490 m|
|Quay Width||30 m||30 m||20 m||60 m|
|Water Depth (mean)||12 m||9 m||9 m||15 m|
|Tidal Range||1.5 m|
- Welcome and farewell events for all cruise ships that enter Busan Port
Special welcome events for cruise ships that enter Busan Port for the first time, cruise ships that stay one night at the port and those that enter the port during the Golden Week (May) of Japan and National Day (October) of China
- Provide support for 20% of the port charges to local agencies that included 2 or more tourist spots in Busan in their travel course
- 30% off of port charges for Busan Port, including port dues and dockage
Busan Port Authority
- Address: 122 Daegyo-ro, Jung-gu, Busan
- Phone: +82-51-999-3122
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opened in 1883
- A gate for cultural exchange between Korean and other countries
- The new international passenger terminal will be completed in the second half of 2018. A cruise port will be temporarily opened in February 2017.
|Incheon Port (Seoul) Inner Port||Incheon’s New International Passenger Terminal – Cruise Pier|
|Berthing Capacity||1 Vessel of 50,000 tons||1 Vessel over 50,000 tons|
|Quay Length||360 m||380 m|
|Quay Width||32.3 m||80 m|
|Height of Quay above Lowest Tide||4 m||High tide : 4 m / low tide : 14 m|
|Water Depth (mean)||11.5 m||12 m|
|Tidal Range||None||9 – 10m|
- Cruise ships that enter Incheon Port for the first time or cruise ships that use the major products of Incheon
- Provide a free shuttle bus between the port and downtown Incheon (3 shuttle buses for a cruise ship of 100,000 tons or more)
IPA (Incheon Port Authority)
- Located close to an archipelago consisting of over 300 islets in the clear southern sea
- Has abundant tourism infrastructure thanks to its proximity to tourist attractions in Yeosu (Expo Ocean Park, Odongdo Island), Suncheon (Suncheon Bay National Garden, Naganeupseong Folk Village), etc.
- An ideal port with deep water level and a wide harbor
- Well equipped with facilities for customers, such as an immigration office and a passenger terminal
|Berthing Capacity||1 Vessel of 150,000 GT|
|Quay Length||400 m|
|Quay Width||50 m|
|Water Depth (mean)||11 m|
|Tidal Range||1.8 m|
- Welcome/farewell events for cruise ships for special occasions, such as the first entry into Yeosu Port
- Incentives to local travel agencies
- Support for chartered buses for domestic travel agencies: Up to 10 million won (when using local buses)
- 30% off of port dues and dockage
- 50% off of pilotage
10,000 won per cruise passenger, up to 20,000,000 won in total
Yeosu Regional Office of Oceans and Fisheries
- Address: 107 Yeoseo 1(il)-ro, Yeosu-si, Jeollanam-do
- Phone: +82-61-650-6055
- E-mail: email@example.com
SOKCHO PORT & DONGHAE PORT
- Major ports in the Far East Asia, connecting China, Russia and Japan
- Designated in 1962. Opened officially in 1997. Selected as a direct North-South Korea trade port in July 2005
- An international tourist port connecting major tourist attractions such as Seoraksan Mountain and the Unification Observatory
- The largest trade port in Gangwon-do. Designated as a first class port in 1974
- A tourist port that handled cruise ships to Geumgangsan Mountain in November, 1998
- A logistics hub port in Northeast Asia with a convenient transportation network and a nearby industrial complex
|Sokcho Port||Donghae Port|
|Berthing Capacity||1 Vessel of 70,000 tons||1 Vessel of 75,000 tons|
|Quay Length||300 m / 310 m||270 m|
|Quay Width||120 m||100 m|
|Water Depth (mean)||9 – 10 m||12 – 14 m|
|Tidal Range||Almost None||Almost None|
- Welcome events for cruise ships that enter Donghae Port for the first time
- Partial support for tuggage and pilotage. 30% off of port dues and dockage
Gangwon-do Maritime Tourism Center
- Address: 347-5 Sportstown-gil, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do
- Phone: +82-33-244-8632
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org